Have you had a run-in with a debt collector? If so, you’re not alone, as the Urban Institute study recently revealed that an estimated 1 in 3 adults, or 77 million Americans, are so delinquent paying a debt that it’s gone to collections. If you’re one of those people then you’ve also probably learned that debt collectors can be aggressive, relentless, sneaky, rude, deceptive, or even resort to downright harassment to collect money. That’s especially true of third party debt ...Continue Reading →
A new technological feature is coming to a credit card near you. If you haven’t heard, credit cards and bankcards are getting a makeover, adorned with new small metallic silver or gold computer chips on the front of the card. Called EMV microchips, the new hardware is about as big as the business-side of your phone’s SIM card and holds all your payment data that is now contained on your card’s magnetic stripe.
Although the new cards that banks and credit ...Continue Reading →
Shoplifting by the numbers:
1. It’s estimated that there are currently 27 million shoplifters in the U.S. today, which means 1 in 11 of us steal from stores and retailers.
2. Those 27 million criminals must be busy because it’s estimated there are between 330-440 million individual cases of shoplifting every year, which comes to 1 – 1.2 million shoplifting incidents daily, or 50,000 every hour.
3. Approximately 10 million people have been caught shoplifting over the last 5 years, at an ...
Cyber crime is a serious concern for anyone who uses a computer, smart phone, tablet, has social media accounts, or shops online – so basically, everyone. In fact, cyber crime is the fastest growing segment of all criminal activity. Between identity theft and online fraud, it’s estimate that 1 in 8 Americans will be affected this year.
Even if you think you’re being careful, you probably aren’t careful enough. On nearly 90% of all websites, third-party trackers are recording what you ...Continue Reading →
To read part 1 of this blog, click here.
21. When Nike first signed an enigmatic, high-flying rookie for the Chicago Bulls out of North Carolina, it completely changed the fortunes of the company, which had been coming back to earth.
22. But the legendary Jordan/Nike union that completely changed pro sports as well as fashion and the athletic industry almost never happened. Nike was originally most interested in signing former Maryland college star Len Bias, who was drafted and ...Continue Reading →
Is greed actually good, as Gordon Gekko famously declared in the movie ‘Wall Street’?
Biologically speaking, it may be. The negative character trait we now call “greed” was also a primal impulse that aided survival throughout our evolutionary history. That urge to work, fight, protect, and collect possessions, tools, food, meat, shelter, and even a mate kept people alive.
But at a certain points, we’re not being chased by hordes of barbarians nor in danger of being eaten ...Continue Reading →
Many consumers are aware that they have a FICO score, a scoring model used by most banks and lenders to rate their use of credit and debt issued that’s been issued by the Fair Isaac Corp. since 1989. But far too few realize there are different versions of FICO scores, and not all banks and lenders use the latest versions, and in fact, most till use FICO 4 which is almost ancient considering that FICO 9 has now been rolled ...Continue Reading →
1. Nike, Inc. sits atop the mountain as the most successful athletic, sneaker and fashion brand ever. In fact, Forbes Magazine lists Nike as the #18 most valuable brand in the world. With 56,000 employees worldwide and annual sales topping $30 billion, Nike, simply NKE on the New York Stock Exchange, is considered one of the top companies of all time. But it wasn’t always that way…
2. The company that was to become Nike was conceived on January 25th, 1964, ...Continue Reading →
So you’re planning on buying a new car – an exciting proposition. But before you even start picking out the make, model, paint color, and start pre-setting your radio stations, you have an important decisions to make: to lease or to buy. The good news is that there isn’t one “right” answer, but what’s best depends on a variety of factors and preferences.
Here 10 considerations about leasing vs. buying you should familiarize yourself with before ever stepping foot into a ...Continue Reading →